Keeping Costs Low
HOW WE ARE WORKING TO KEEP COSTS LOW
SouthWest Water Company has taken a number of steps to help contain the cost of a required upgrade to the North Shelby Wastewater Treatment Plant. If Shelby County still owned the Plant, it would have to make these same upgrades in order to ensure compliance with EPA and ADEM. This upgrade will help reduce the harmful level of phosphorus currently found in our waterways.
TO CONTAIN COSTS, WE HAVE:
- INITIATED an extensive study of the best, most cost-effective methods to treat phosphorus, as required by the new EPA and ADEM regulations.
- VALUE-ENGINEERED the project in a way that helps keep costs low through smart design.
- BID the construction project to several qualified contractors.
- ACCEPTED the lowest bidder.
- EXCLUDED internal costs from the determination of rates, including SouthWest Water Company labor, oversight, overhead and markup.
- PURCHASED all large equipment directly from the vendors to reduce unnecessary contractor markup of these items — a significant cost savings.